When people think of the word oasis or zen, they think about what they want to do with their bathroom or a place that they can go to on vacation. If you are working from home, you are spending a lot more time in your office than in your bathroom. While it is great to use it to relax, you need to have some of those properties present in your office space. This can help you to feel more calm, get more work done and feel more creative.
Even if you don’t have a dedicated office space that is an entire room, you can apply some of these ideas to the space that you have. Even the smallest space can begin to become an office oasis!
1. Keep it bright: If you have any control over the color of your office, bright colors can really make the entire room feel cheery. Even if you can only have an accent wall, that is still getting you a pop of color. The colors that surround you can have an impact on your mood. There are lots of charts that explain which colors evoke which mood, but to me it is what speaks to you. Some people would love all white and yellows and for others, start primary colors would really speak to them. Do what works for you. This is your zen space.
2. Clear the Clutter: If you are cramped, then it is time to get organized, stat! You actually will feel less productive and calm if your desk and office looks like a tornado hit it. Before you even start thinking about design elements, cleaning up is #1. Anything that you are not consistently using needs to be filed and put away. Only keep near you what you need to have near you and all the rest needs to go away. This set of articles on Kaizen may help you if this type of system is new to you.
3. Run a Diffuser: Skip the heavy chemical scent sprays and get a diffuser for your office. With a diffuser, you can add the lovely scent of essential oils to help you with any kind of scent that you would like. My favorite is an uplifting scent which is equal parts of rosemary, grapefruit and lime oils. It smells amazing. You will find what blend or singles work best for you. It can really change how you feel.
3. Plants: Plants are a great way to brighten up an office space. You can’t stick a palm tree in your office, but keeping bright and fresh flowers or house plants really do make a difference.
4. Music: This is a matter of contention. Some people work better with music and some don’t. If you prefer music, turning some on while you work can really help you feel more calm so your creativity can flow.
5. Animals: This may seem like an odd choice, but my kitty cat really helps me feel relaxed and gives me a paradise feel. There is even a corner of the office that is just for him to play. He makes me laugh and is a great lap assistant to keep me in check. If you are not a pet person, that is OK! You can add decorative wall hangings and things that motivate you to give you the feel that you desire.
What do you do to your office to make it feel more like an oasis? I’d love to hear your tips and tricks!
Heather Santo is a certified Virtual Administrative Consultant with over 15 years of customer service experience. She also spent time in corporate America as a Human Resources Manager performing generalist duties and specializing in recruiting. She now enjoys using her talents to serve her clients and help them to operate their businesses efficiently. She specializes in Aweber, Pinterest, WordPress Thesis, Gratitude Concierge Work and social media content graphic creation.
If you have found this article to be of value, please share it!